Extent: 1 box, (.209 linear feet)
The Stewart Technical School was founded in 1909 as the Stewart Automobile School, and offered courses in automobile mechanics. In 1927, the school expanded its programs to include aeronautical engineering, and the name of the school changed to Stewart Technical School. This collection includes course bulletins describing various class offerings, and promotional material for the school. The collection provides insight into technical education in the first half of the 20th century.
Scope and Content
The material in this collection was entirely produced by the Stewart Technical School (or under the earlier name, Stewart Automobile School) with the intention of providing information about its programs to its current students and potential students. The collection primarily consists of course bulletins with a smaller amount of promotional material for the school. The materials discuss the growing role of automobiles and airplanes in American culture and highlight the demand for skilled mechanics in the workforce. The materials also provide information regarding job and salary prospects following the completion of courses, providing insight into the growing role of vocational training. The materials date from 1918 through the late 1940s, with a small portion of undated materials.